Shape Urban was commissioned by the City of Bayswater to engage residents and stakeholders on building heights, density, development rules and land use zonings in the area around the Meltham train station to understand the community’s views on these issues to be able to inform recommendations on changes to the area.
An extensive community engagement process was undertaken which included:
- Mail-outs advising local residents of the engagement and online survey;
- Pop-ups at the Bayswater Tennis Club and Meltham Station;
- An online survey which had 1400 individual visits and 242 individual survey contributions;
- Two community workshops with 51 participants; and
- The City convened Meltham Surrounds Community Panel attended by 26 panellists who discussed the future development of the area.
The robust engagement process highlighted the importance of creating and maintaining a high-quality place that the community can be proud of; going so far as to identify the importance of formalising Meltham as a suburb in its own right rather than a neighbourhood of adjoining areas. It gave the City information to inform longer-term planning for the Meltham Surrounds precinct.